Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Don't talk about your novel!

What are writers? My definition of a writer is a person who has stories that they want to tell other people. Essentially, writers are storytellers (in paperback or hardcover form).



(*Of course, writers should only write stories that they themselves enjoy. But if other people enjoy their stories also, then that's good too).



However, writers tell their stories through novels, and so they have to write those novels. That is why writers shouldn't talk about their novels. Why? Because if writers talk about their novels, they lose the urge to actually write the novel itself.



Here's an example: Let's say that there is this guy (an aspiring writer) who has a story for a novel in his head. Like any writer, he wants to talk to people about this story. So he tells his friends about what happens in the novel; who dies and lives, the evil guy, who falls in love, the exotic places, the twist ending, etc.... Then by the time he sits down to actually write his story into a novel, he loses the urge to touch the keyboard or hold a pen. Why? Because he already told the story.



Writers, once they have a story idea in their head, have an urge to tell that story. And unlike storytellers around a campfire, writers tell their story through novels. So if a writer tells his friends about the story, the subconscious mind of the writer is telling him that he already told his story, so he doesn't need to write a novel to tell his story anymore. So he loses the urge to write.



That is why you shouldn't talk about your novel!



You don't see me talking about my novel or blog about it (okay, I used to do this, but I stopped. From personal experience, I know what it's like to want to tell your story and then lose the urge to write it).



So I apologize to those who support me and my novel, and yet don't know what my novel is about. I only ask that you be patient with me. I will write and publish a novel someday (maybe in a year), and I promise you that you'll enjoy it.



Thanks to all who support me,



John Smith



PS: If you do talk about your novel (which you shouldn't), you should limit it to only one vague sentence:



(*My novel is not a romance and it doesn't have vampires, but it does have a werewolf).

My profile picture is an obvious hint...



I'm sorry, that is all I'm going to tell you about my novel... for now.

5 comments:

  1. Hey John Smith,

    You're right, I feel the same. Your novel just loses its magic when you talk about it.

    Just write it. Really? Yours will be done by 2011 or 2012?

    Jessie Mac
    www.jessiemac.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is true for a lot of people! I found the same thing out when I was in high school telling someone about a story I was writing. I learned to keep my mouth shut after that :P

    BUT! I can talk about parts of the novel that are already written without any issue. It doesn't slow me down at all, but rather, when someone gets excited about the parts already written, spurs me to write on and finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't find your book blog hop post, but that's okay. I like your blog, it's informative and fun both. Good balance! As for talking about novels, I can't really do that. Not out loud. When someone asks I usually say 'read the summary'. LOL! I do outline and get excited but my books are always so much fun (and so much to talk about) I never really have this problem. Don't know why, it's just the way I write.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny but I feel completely the opposite way. I can't talk about my novel to just anyone but I do have fellow writer who helps me plot and knows the entire plot to my novel. You said that you're more of a plot writer and I am more of a character writer. Maybe that's the difference? I often find myself stuck from how to get from point A to point B and my writer friend is able to help me find a way out.

    ReplyDelete